Sunday, January 31, 2010

The moments that make us.

I’ve noticed that these posts are becoming more cathartic and less topical than I initially indicated this blog was going to be. I think I will again get to my stories and views on fun things in this world, but right now my journey is once more opening up. To share that is invaluable, but further, I’d like to hope some of my revelations might inspire. So I ask that you “stay tuned” and see what might come of it.

That said, I have been contemplating what the difference is between one’s purpose in life and one’s goals in life. Defining them alone is a difficult thing, but to recognize how they effect each other as well as how they may or may not work together is another level of mental arduousness. Yet, it’s a refreshing sort of deliberation. Anything that potentially compels refining is, I think.

To this point in my life I hadn’t put a firm definition on these things. There were things I wanted – to achieve, to experience, to learn. There were things I hoped for – love, joy, fulfillment. There were thing I sought after – adventure, passion, vivacity. There were things I craved – connections, hope, understanding. But there was no clear definition of my purpose, nor a vision of how to actively pursue my loosely known goals.

It’s an exciting place to be, on this precipice of the discovery of a lifetime. It’s a sort of threshold moment, and man I’m jumping!

2 comments:

Lori said...

Just a thought...I think our purpose is unknown to us. It might be revealed to us later. But for the most part it's a secret that we stumble upon. And our goals are items we create. I think true happiness might be when the two meet unexpectedly. I think you might be on to something. Here's hoping your goals meet your purpose!

whichwaydidshego said...

But don't you think we can better achieve our purpose on a daily basis if we define it? I think in the past I saw it in that more mysterious way, but I'm realizing that I have to seek it, to know it, in order to fulfill it.

Now, I may be wrong, but this is a path on my journey I want to go down, even if it dead ends. Also, maybe destiny has just taken over the part of life that is the "secret that a stumble upon."

You got me thinking, though... I LOVE that!! Thanks!